He Pretends He's Fellini

Such is the life of a guy running a small theatre company...

We're two-thirds of the way through our six-week run of Hair, and though it's not selling out (every theatre in town is experiencing a downturn in sales right now), the show is going well, and we're getting decent-sized houses full of people who fall in love with our show and often come back to see it more than once.

But meanwhile...

We've got the first audition for Return to the Forbidden Planet this Monday. So I'm trying to redirect my brain. It's hard for me -- when I'm running a show, that pretty much takes over my brain till we close. I don't think about a whole lot else. But today I have to switch gears and prepare for tomorrow's audition. And I fucking hate auditions.

And... I'm also working on gathering together a cast (by invitation only) for our two-night concert at the Sheldon Concert Hall in January. Once I get everyone confirmed, then I have to go back to my tentative song list and start assigning songs to singers. At that time, I'll probably find that some songs on my list should be cut, and others may be added. It's a relatively complex process, but it's worth the hassle to get to play that beautiful grand piano at the Sheldon...

And... believe it or not, we're already thinking about what shows we'll be doing next season -- yes, that's right, the 2009-2010 season! Funding applications for that season will start coming due in the next couple months...

And... I have to readjust our current season budget because I anticipated sellouts for Hair, which would have given us a real cushy nest egg to get us through the other lesser known shows this season. But I guess I'll have to change my plans... (show tune reference!)

So there's a lot on my mind right now. God help me.

On with the Groovy Revolution!
Kerouac

0 comments: