There's a Light

I realized tonight, running Act I, that this is one of those shows just weird enough that, right now, I'm the only one who really understands what this is going to be... I could tell watching the actors tonight that they're willing to give it their all, to really work hard on each moment, but I don't think most of them really totally get where we're headed, Big Picture-wise...

And I can't tell you how much I love them that they trust me that much and will follow me down whatever road I think is best. They all rock. I'm very fortunate.

It was the same with our "unusual" Jesus Christ Superstar, with Urinetown, Rocky Horror, The Cradle Will Rock, and Sunday in the Park with George. And, then of course, none of us knew where we heading with Johnny Appleweed until halfway through the rehearsal period, me included! But the actors just keep working their asses off.

I really do love my job. And I am very grateful that there are so many actors in town who want to go on these adventures with me and who really trust me to take them down a worthwhile road. I do not take that for granted. I know that my ideas are only as good as the people who bring them to life. These actors aren't just talented, they're also generous, patient, and trusting. I really do love my job.

Long Live the Musical!
Scott

0 comments: