The Rodgers & Hammerstein Sound

So once in a while, I write parody lyrics. As a working writer and lyricist, I think of it as good exercise. Some of these parodies are surely funny only to me. But I always try very hard to stick exactly to the rhythm and scansion of the original lyric, and to comically dip into the original lyric now and then just for fun. Here's one I wrote during the Great Pandemic, on a totally random whim. I just came across it, and it made me laugh, so I thought I should share...

If you really love R&H, don't yell at me. I did once, too. It's all in good fun. Well, sort of.

The Rodgers & Hammerstein Sound
(to the tune of “My Favorite Things”
from The Sound of Music,
with apologies to Dick and Ockie)

Fox trots and two-steps and
Old-fashioned waltzes;
Homey clichés point you
Right where the schmaltz is.
No more of Dick’s former jazz can be found –
This is the Rodgers & Hammerstein Sound.

Major for good guys and
Minor for baddies,
Racialized dialects,
Gruff, distant daddies;
Plain, simple, natural lyrics abound
Here in the Rodgers and Hammerstein Sound.

All well-intentioned,
Though borderline racist,
Quite accident’ly
(Whatever the case is);
Well-meaning libr’rals on high moral ground,
Making that Rodgers & Hammerstein Sound.

Slightly sexist,
Patriarchal
(It’s the place and time);
It’s Father Knows Best and So Mother Complies,
And all to a perfect rhyme!

Though their shows might
Deal in darkness;
By the end, it’s fine.
We’re back to the foxtrots and waltzes and all –
From Rodgers and Hammerstein!

And as an extra added bonus, I'll share this one too, which I wrote one dismal day when I was feeling a little more cynical than usual...

Edelweiss
Edelweiss
Sure smells nice;
But it grows on a mountain.
Don’t think I’m
Gonna climb
Up a mountain for you!

Blossoms are no way to
Truly show
Love, you know.
It’s bullshit.

Edelweiss,
Edelweiss,
End this nonsense forever!

I truly can't help myself.
Long Live the Musical!
Scott

0 comments: