Into the Words

I like to pose questions about musicals on our Facebook page. One time I asked our fans to name a musical theatre character or couple who really needs therapy. We got some hilarious answers. Sometimes these questions get dozens of answers and hundreds of views, and it's such fun to read them all. Every once in a while, someone will reference a show I don't know, so I scurry over to Google and see what I can find.

A few weeks ago, I asked folks to quote a piece of a theatre lyric that makes a very wise saying. I was anxious to see what people would come up with. Of course, lots of people quoted "No day but today." It's amazing how many people connect with those four words; they must really feed something in us. We got so many great responses to my question, that I want to share them here. Feel free to add more in the comments section below.

I was gonna note after each quote what song and show it's from, but this is the Information Age. You know how to find all that. I also considered commenting on all or at least some of these, but I don't want to impose on you my interpretation of these words. That should be for you to do. Then I thought, even if I don't comment on them, maybe I could arrange them in some way, by topic or by show or...

No.

I'm just going to leave you with them. See which of them speaks to you right now at this moment on your journey. Save them somewhere. Quote them on Facebook once in a while to share a piece of wisdom with someone who's having a bad day. They say laughter is the best medicine, but it's really musicals. And now I'll shut up...

The Quotes

Because crazy is perfect and fucked up is perfect, so I will be perfect for you.

Without a hurt, the heart is hollow.

You are young. Life has been kind to you. You will learn.

It's called flowers wilt, it's called apples rot,
It's called thieves get rich and saints get shot,
It's called god don't answer prayers a lot,
Okay, now you know.

Your mother's love might seem insane; that's 'cause she really knows everything.

Alone is alone, not alive.

Leave the judging to the judge who'll judge us all on judgment day.

To love another person is to see the face of God.

The price of love is loss, but still we pay. We love anyway.

Don't dream it, be it.

Change come fast and change come slow, but change come, Caroline Thibodeaux.

The choice may have been mistaken; the choosing was not.

At times, it does hurt to be healed.

If you become a teacher, by your pupils you'll be taught.

Measure your life in love.

It'll all go on if we're here or not, so who cares, so what?

The Real is a construct; it's the raw nerve's private zone.
It's a personal sunset you drive off into alone.

It's a very short road from the pinch and the punch to the paunch and the pouch and the pension.

You gotta have heart.

Rain will make the flowers grow.

People like the way dreams have of sticking to the soul.

As we travel on, love's what we'll remember.

A heart without a home is such a lonesome road to hoe.

Anything you do, let it come from you, then it will be new.

Children run so fast, toward the future from the past.

Look at what you want, not at where you are.

Life is a mistake that only art can correct.

Walk on the grass, it was meant to feel.

You can't stop the beat.

It's smarter to be lucky than it's lucky to be smart.

You've got to be taught to be afraid.

Life's not worth a damn till you can say: Hey world, I am what I am!

We all have our junk.

Don't deny your beast inside.

Pity the child, but not forever, not if he stays that way.

Everyone's a little bit racist.

Life is random and unfair.

Everything is rent.

Love changes everything.


Long Live the Musical!
Scott

0 comments: